Monday, June 11, 2012

Georgia Peaches and Pinto Beans

Paula's Pintos on the Porch

Last Saturday I am tried a recipe from one of my favorite Georgia girls.   It's Paula Deen's Slow Cooker Pinto Beans.   Miraculously, I remembered to put the dry pound of pintos into water last night, so they were ready for me this morning.   There's not much to the recipe in the way of human effort.   My crock pot was the one on duty for lunch.   I'll have to admit that it's the first time I've used Streak O' Lean for anything at all.   After the first hour of cooking those beans on high, I decided to move the Crock Pot to the front porch.   It's the kind of day that anything heating up the house was unwelcome, no matter how delicious the smell.

We ate the beans about an hour earlier than the recommended cooking time, and they were tasty.   Cheap.  Easy.   The kind of recipe that you could put together in a hotel room, if you had a mind to.   Once the summer heats up, I think I'll continue exploring slow cooker recipes that can happen on the front porch.   I'll just have to make a special big ol' necklace with a note attached, so I remember that something's doing out there.

And while I've never been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers, I'm listened to their Winterland concert from 1973, courtesy of Wolfgang's Vault, and thought about changing my mind.   I will say this for those guys.   They sure did offer lots of bathroom breaks, um instrumental jamming, during concerts.

Macon, Georgia is also responsible for giving us Little Richard and Otis Redding...no small contribution to my general happiness right there.


No comments:

Post a Comment